It is summer time! The sun is shining and so are our faces! On a hot summer day the last thing I want on my face is a layer of foundation; give me some waterproof mascara and I am a happy glamper. However, summer is a popular time for weddings and events and wearing makeup is sometimes necessary. On these special occasions I love nothing more than a glowing, sun-kissed face with sparkling eyes. What I don't love is using a lot of makeup... or what feels like a lot of makeup.
I want to be able to touch my face and feel skin, not product. The solution? Skip foundation! Not wearing foundation feels quite fantastic (you can feel your skin breathing, I swear) and by using other products strategically you can still have gorgeous skin!
No Foundation? No Problem: A guide to skipping foundation :)
1) Concealer! The trick to no foundation is concealer. Many people do not need a full face of foundation or coverage. Each part of our face is different and should be treated as such. Use concealer under the eyes to brighten and anywhere else you may need (i.e spots, red patches, etc). I used the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer under my eyes.
2) BRONZER. Nothing adds a sun-kissed glow to the face like a good bronzer. My long time favourite is the Chanel Soleil Tan. This gorgeous pot of creamy gold blends like a dream, subtly tinting the skin to look tanned and you guessed it, glowy. While it is a cream formula, this bronzer is extremely thin and feels dry on the skin- no tacky residue left over (check)!
3) More bronzer! I love layering products. Layering products and using different colours adds dimension, keeping the makeup from appearing flat. After applying the Soleil Tan I go over my cheekbones with a bronzer that has more of a sheen. For this look I used Charlotte Tilbury's Beach stick in Ibiza. This is another cream formula that feels dry to the touch and blends beautifully.
4) Blush. Aside from a good sleep or an XL coffee (semantics), nothing adds life to the face like a good cheek. For this look I used two of my favourites, BOM's Cream blush in Jam and Stila's Cream Blush in Lilium. Jam looks like it sounds, giving the skin a warm, natural berry toned flush. Lilium has a lilac hue, which adds a brightening and youthful hint of colour.
4) Highlighter. A little cheekbone action never hurt anyone. I used another old favourite, MAC's cream colour base in Hush. This is another cream product that blends perfectly into the skin, leaving only the most swoon-worthy glow.
And that, is how you get your most beautiful skin without wearing foundation. Adding punch of colour on the lips gives even more life to the skin and brightens the eyes! I chose one of my favourite lipsticks, Fanny by NARS. I kept the eye makeup minimal, allowing my lips to do the talking ... ;) I used a champagne colour from my lid to my brow, bronzer in my crease and a dark brown eyeliner on the top only. Finish off with a good lash curl and a generous coat or three of mascara and your are DONE. This look is my go to for a night out or event. Once you assemble your product roster, the application is speedy!